Major activities during 2003 – 2006Improving access to basic, social and economic services
Area covered: Khallikote Block of Ganjam District in Orissa
1. Developing an Operational Manual for use at Gram Panchayat level (local government body) for participatory planning for rural infrastructure development under the decentralized planning process in India through the PRIs (Panchayati Raj Institutions) under the 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act.
2. Capacity building of PRI representatives and officials in planning activities.
1. Preparation and publication of IRAP guideline
2. Preparation and publication of IRAP Operational Manual
3. Training to PRI representatives and officials
4. Preparation of 5 year infrastructure development plan in 29 Gram Panchayats
Supported By: International Labour Organization (ILO/ASIST-AP)
Improving access and mobility of tribal communities
Area covered: 17 tribal villages of Chadeyapalli Gram Panchayat of Daspalla Block in Nayagarh District of Orissa (500 tribal families)
1. Detailed accessibility needs assessment study conducted and study report published
2. Ground level interventions covering provision of transport infrastructure and community transport service, intermediate modes of transport, common facility centres with facilities like library and information centre, agro input centre, fair price shops, local produce marketing and IMT servicing centres.
3. South Asia Workshop for sharing of project experiences
4. Preparation and publication of Labour based Road Construction and Maintenance Manual
Supported by: Practical Action (ITDG earlier), UK